Becky's Food Page 9a Lemon Sponge.
May 16 2007
- 125g (4oz) self raising flour
- 125g (4oz) margarine
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg separated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- Light the oven 170 deg C, 325 deg F, gas mark 4.
- Weigh all the ingredients into a bowl.
- Cream all the ingredients together for 1 minute.
- Grease and line the cake tins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
- When golden and springy to the touch turn out on a tray.
- When cool sandwich together with lemon curd.
- Decorate the top with curd and coconut.
The cake can be made with chocolate by replacing 1oz of flour with 1oz of cocoa powder.
Instead of lemon you could use your favourite jam.
Sultanas and spice could also be added.
Design and Presentation
* * * *