Becky's Food Page 39 Apricot and Orange Loaf.
February 26th 2009
Apricot and Orange Loaf
- 100g (4oz) ready to eat dried apricots
- An orange
- 100g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 100g (4oz) soft margarine
- 100g (4oz) light soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g (4oz) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- A loaf tin measuring 20.5 x 12.5 x 8cm (8 x 5 x 3.5 in)
- Put the loaf tin onto baking parchment or greaseproof paper. Draw around the bottom of the tin and cut out the shape.
- Grease the tin and put the paper into the bottom. Turn the oven on to heat up to 180C, 350F, gas mark 4.
- Use kitchen scissors to snip the dried apricots into small pieces. Cut them so that they fall into a large mixing bowl.
- Grate the rind off the orange. Try not to grate any of the white pith underneath. Scrape the rind into the bowl.
- Sift the flour into the bowl. Add the margarine and brown sugar. Break the eggs into a cup, then pour them in too.
- Put the bowl onto a damp dishcloth. Beat the mixture firmly with a wooden spoon until it is light and fluffy.
- Scrape the mixture out of the bowl into the loaf tin. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon to make it level.
- Bake the loaf for about 40 minutes, until it rises and turns golden. Leave it for a few minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl. Mix in some orange juice a little at a time until it is like runny glue. Pour it over the loaf.
Design and Presentation
* * * *