Becky's Food Page 26 Leek and Macaroni Gratin with tomatoes.
April 9th 2008
Leek and Macaroni Gratin with tomatoes.
- 125g (4oz) shortcut macaroni
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 275g (10oz) leeks, cleaned, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 25g (1oz) flour
- 568ml (1 pint) milk
- 175g (6oz) Cotswold cheese with chives, grated
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 25g (1oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- chopped tomatoes and sliced tomatoes for the top
- Cook the macaroni in a saucepan of fast boiling salted water, until tender, but not soft, about 8-10 mins. Drain well.
- Melt the butter in a pan and saute the leeks for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, while stirring. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Bring to the boil and continue to cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Take off the heat, stir in the macaroni and all but 30ml (2 tbsp) cheese. Season to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into a buttered 1 litre or 2-pint shallow ovenproof dish. Mix together the breadcrumbs, tomatoes and remaining cheese and sprinkle in lines evenly across the dish.
- Bake in the oven at 190 degrees C (375F) gas mark 5 for 30-35 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.
Design and Presentation
* * * *